Title: Instrument Technician
Group / Division: White Tail Automation / Automation
Reports to: Rockies Area Manager
Work Location: Denver; Rockies
Pay Type: Non-Exempt, Full Time, Bi-Weekly
The Instrument Technician provides hands on support by being directly involved in the maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of electrical and instrumentation equipment and systems utilized throughout field and process plants. The scope of equipment includes but is not limited to, low power distribution, instrumentation, industrial communication, and process control systems. This role also ensures operational targets are met in a safe environmentally compliant and efficient manner.
- Ensure the achievement of budgeted maintenance targets by practicing preventative maintenance through scheduled inspections, servicing, adjustments, troubleshooting and timely repair of plant equipment.
- Ensure plant and equipment are maintained and operated in accordance with the required standards.
- Work closely with the E & I Supervisor in ensuring safety and environmental compliance of the team.
- Provide regular feedback to the E & I Supervisor on any issues that may arise
- Carry out preventative maintenance, installation, and repair of activities of electrical and instrumentation systems as
- Support the efficient operation of the production facilities by providing reliable and accurate maintenance
knowledge, expertise, and practical application, to minimize down time and subsequent loss of production
- Troubleshoot, repair, and conduct periodic calibration of instruments on a wide range of equipment including
analyzers, PLC and process control equipment, communication networks, environmental emission and data logging
equipment and field monitoring equipment
- Install, program, and calibrate new equipment (rebuild as needed) and evaluate latest technologies for feasibility
- Create drawings and documents for future reference and maintain maintenance project records
- Maintain a working knowledge of all task instructions and procedures and ensure that these are consistently
adhered to when carrying out maintenance tasks
- Promote a safe, efficient, and effective work culture focused on continuous improvement and achievement.
- Maintain a high standard of housekeeping throughout the maintenance workshops and wherever maintenance work
is carried out, to contribute towards a safe work environment, efficient operation of the facilities and to reduce the
risk of incidents or injury and the existence of potential hazards
- Maximize return on assets through effective utilization and care of maintenance equipment and tools, with due
consideration of safety and environmental issues
- Complete all administrative processing requirements associated with maintenance duties, such as requisitioning of
parts and materials, processing of maintenance orders, recording of labor time, etc.
- Demonstrate awareness and commitment to health, community, environmental protection and take action to
ensure that unsafe practices or non-compliant behaviors do not occur.
- Other such duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- 5-10 years of experience with process control instrumentation and electrical/industrial electronics
- Intermediate skills in math and reading wire diagrams and schematics
- Intermediate knowledge of measurement test equipment
- Proven technical skills, fault finding and repairing complex electrical, instrumentation and communication systems.
- Proven experience in control valve maintenance and repair.
- Certified training with pneumatic, hydraulic, and electromechanical valve actuators will be highly regarded.
- Knowledge of predictive maintenance activities for various instruments and equipment and the ability to develop
and document accurate and thorough work procedures
- Experienced fault finding and utilizing the appropriate diagnostic tools to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Hands-on, self-sufficient and demonstrates a positive, can-do attitude.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong troubleshooting, analytical, and organizational skills
- Quick learner; able to adapt to new technologies rapidly
- A structured approach to problem solving and project execution with the ability to plan, prioritize, and work under
pressure to meet expectations and deadlines.
- Ability to work successfully both individually and within team environments
- Highly motivated & ability to conduct themselves in a professional manner
- Focus on client service
- Be a result driven individual who takes ownership of problems and sees them through to completion
- Must possess a high level of attention to detail
- Works well in a constantly changing environment
- Walking, occasional lifting to 35 lbs.
- Frequent near vision use for reading and computer use
- Finger agility for keyboarding
- Periods of sitting and standing may be necessary
- May be requested to work outside of normal work schedule to meet business needs.
Working Conditions & Hazards:
• If the individual visits the operations worksite, personal protective equipment including but not limited to head protection, hearing protection, safety glasses, and safety shoes are required. Safety rules, including OSHA and DOT requirements, are strictly enforced.